Early Summer

October 25th, 2010

Within the first half hour or so of this movie, it started to remind me somewhat of Umberto D, not so much in any other way other then that the subject matter was basically just a normal insight into a small portion of an average person’s life. I kind of liked it for that reason, not that I’ve lost any love for the crazy sci-fi, horror, ridiculously unrealistic romantic comedy, or over the top action films, but sometimes it is nice to watch something different, and something that is honestly, a lot more relatable to a general audience.

One of my favorite things about this film, was that it kind of ended in an expected way, but took an unexpected way around it. I’m refering mostly to the “love” storyline, if you could even refer to it in that way. It seems from the start of the film that Noriko and Kenkichi might end up together, but it doesn’t really happen in your typical hollywood romance type of way. One would expect him to suddenly proclaim love to her as she is about to accept her other proposal, or for her to realize she loves him as he makes the decision to take the new job causing him to stay for her, or something along those lines.

But it is Kenkichi’s mother who brings up in tears that it would be nice if someone like Noriko would marry Kenkichi, so ultimatley it is her that makes the proposal, which isn’t really a real proposal but more of a hypothetical. It seems that after she said that Noriko suddenly thinks “Hm, that could be cool.” and tells Kenkichi’s mother that she accepts the proposal (even though there wasn’t really one, and no one even asked him if he was ok with this) And further amusing, is when he comes home and she passes him by as she leaves, not mentioning that it’s been decided that they’re getting married.

Kenkichi isn’t even too thrilled when his mother cries in happiness to him that Noriko has agreed to marry him. He seems a bit taken back and surprised, but not so much in a good way, more in a “What??” kinda way. I’m sure that probably has something to do with the initial shock of finding out you’re getting married to someone who seemed to have been in the process of getting engaged to someone else, and never showed any intention of marrying you. We can’t blaime the guy, thats gotta be some crazy news. Although, to be fair, I suppose he didn’t mind all that much, or else he would have refused all together.

I found it somewhat odd that Noriko’s family’s biggest problem with all of this seemed to be that Kenkichi had a young child. They seemed pretty distraught over the idea of her marrying someone with a child, like it was a terrible thing to do. I didn’t really understand this, but after some thought I realized it has to be a culture thing. Here, that wouldn’t really be a big deal, I’m sure most people’s parents wouldn’t think them marrying someone with a kid was a terrible thing to do. They may however, find it odd if you were proposed to by this person’s mother and never actually discussed the getting married thing with them. But like I said, different cultures.

I really did enjoy this movie, and I think I may have to give it another watch sometime in the near future, or check out more Ozu films, because this really was something different and very worth watching.

4 Responses to “Early Summer”

1. exgee226 on October 25, 2010 11:25 pm

Ha, I agree with you when you mention how worried they were about marrying someone who had a child. When that was their biggest concern, the Brady Bunch popped into my head. I also found the scene where she accepts the proposal and then sees him kind of bizarre. I enjoyed this movie because it was different. It’s not something I would of picked up or even glanced at, but now that I’m familiar with Ozu and his unique placement of the camera and his style of shooting…makes me want to watch more of him. It’s very simple and simple is always nice.

2. kris89 on October 25, 2010 11:46 pm

Finally someone who had positive things to say about the film. LOL. I agree with you on the whole idea of this “proposal” which would of never happened if Noriko would’ve never went to visit Kenkichi’s mother, like how legit is that. It just seemed to be an opportunity that took everyone by surprise. I think the pressure of getting married from her family, mainly her brother, and married girlfriends finally got to her, even though she never showed it.Ozu’s techniques were different and I think in order to have enjoyed this film we had to watch it from an alternating perspective and be extremely open-minded.

3. Amy Herzog on November 3, 2010 1:13 pm

I’m also relieved to read a positive response 🙂 You make some really perceptive points about the contradictions in the narrative, where our expectations are being subtly undermined at every turn.

4. zdjęcia na porcelanie on May 21, 2016 1:29 pm

zdjęcia na porcelanie

Early Summer at MEDST 144

Trackback URI | Comments RSS